Author Topic: Fall workshop series to help graduate students plan for career success  (Read 1350 times)

Archona Rani Saha

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Graduate students from all Penn State campuses interested in learning about tips and resources to improve their job search are invited to attend the fall 2023 Accelerate to Industry (A2i) Job Search Strategies Workshop series.

The series, which includes six sessions beginning Oct. 12, is open to all graduate students and postdoctoral researchers and covers a broad range of topics related to career development and the job search. The sessions this semester will be offered in a hybrid format, both in person in 102 Kern Building at University Park and virtually via Zoom from 4-5 p.m. ET. Topics will include: Career Exploration, Resumes, Networking, LinkedIn/Interviewing, Job Offers and Negotiations, and Assessing Company Culture.

Interested students can sign up for the series here. Students are encouraged to attend all six sessions but may attend just the sessions that align with their interests and schedule.

Below is the current schedule for each session: 

Oct. 12: Career Exploration 
The first step to a great career is career exploration. Students will get resources and tools to explore interests and associated career opportunities.

Oct. 19: Resumes 
First impressions are important, and this session will discuss how to put together a targeted resume for careers outside academia.

Oct. 26: Networking   
Networking is essential, and it doesn’t look the same for everyone. Learn the basic principles of one of the most important skills needed in the job search.

Nov. 2: LinkedIn and Interviewing  
It often can all come down to how a student interviews when looking for a job. This workshop will look at the principles of expert interviewing, as well as how to use the features on LinkedIn to keep the networking game moving. 

Nov. 9: Offers and Negotiation 
One of the most confusing and intimidating topics, the workshop will discuss how to negotiate offers to make sure students are getting paid what they are worth.

Nov. 16: Assessing Company Culture
Company culture is not one size fits all. Attendees of this final workshop will discuss how to find an organization that is compatible with their values.

The workshop is part of the University’s larger A2i initiative. The program, first developed by North Carolina State University, connects graduate students with industry companies to explore employment opportunities. A2i also helps graduate students develop the business, leadership and communication skills that companies seek in new employees. Students can learn more about A2i at Penn State at the Graduate School website. 

Source: The Pennsylvania State University
Original content: https://www.psu.edu/news/graduate-school/story/fall-workshop-series-help-graduate-students-plan-career-success/