Author Topic: Dean Trombino rejoins The Desert Sun as sports intern  (Read 1976 times)

Archona Rani Saha

Dean Trombino rejoins The Desert Sun as sports intern
« on: October 02, 2023, 10:00:13 AM »
Matt Solinsky

Dean Trombino learned so much during his first internship with The Desert Sun that he didn’t want to pass up another opportunity.

A lifelong resident of the Coachella Valley and a 2021 graduate of Palm Desert High School, Trombino has rejoined The Desert Sun sports department for a second internship that will continue through the fall.

“This internship has been a perfect opportunity for me to grow as a writer,” Trombino said. “There’s a really big difference between writing in class and writing in the field. I’ve grown to different levels that I wouldn’t have been able to without this internship. It’s been a really great experience.”

Trombino rejoined The Desert Sun thanks to contributions to the Coachella Valley Journalism Foundation, which underwrites this paid internship.

Trombino has always enjoyed the nuances of writing, but a senior year journalism class piqued his interest in considering a future in communications.

“The first time I covered a (football) game, it was not my best story, but over time I have learned my own writing style, my own personality, nailing down proper grammar and writing rules,” Trombino said. “I wouldn’t have the same understanding of writing without this opportunity.”
In high school, Trombino played defense on several league-champion Palm Desert football teams. But now he finds a new energy rush every Friday night on the football field when he must report on one of the Coachella Valley’s weekly high school games and then file a comprehensive story within a 60-minute deadline.

“It was stressful at the beginning because I was not used to that,” Trombino said. “But over time, I’ve gotten used to it. It was a tough experience at the start because there’s a lot of pressure.”

Outside of reporting for The Desert Sun, Trombino continues to build a social media following with regular sports commentary and videos on YouTube and TikTok, where he's had several videos surpass 500,000 views.

“The internships have given me confidence to talk about sports and become a lot more active,” he said. “I would encourage people to take internships."

The nonprofit Coachella Valley Journalism Foundation identifies needs in the local journalism ecosystem and seeks out grants and donations from individuals and foundations to bridge those gaps. The CVJF is a 501 (c) 3 organization, and all contributions are tax-deductible.

To donate, visit www.cvjf.org.

Source: ww.desertsun.com
Original content: https://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/2023/09/30/dean-trombino-rejoins-the-desert-sun-as-sports-intern/71004435007/