Author Topic: Rebels Bring Their Skills from the Classroom to the Field  (Read 650 times)

Archona Rani Saha

Rebels Bring Their Skills from the Classroom to the Field
« on: August 26, 2023, 01:35:04 PM »
Jayley Ward (left) and Breanna Adams are part of the summer cohort of Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee interns. (Josh Hawkins/UNLV)

UNLV students from different majors come together to take on one of the biggest sporting events ever hosted by Las Vegas.

EDITOR'S NOTE: UNLV's location in the Entertainment Capital of the World offers students unique opportunities to gain work experience while in school. This story is part of a series about the UNLV interns working with the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee for the February 2024 event. In the past year, UNLV has more than doubled the number of internship opportunities it offers students.

When the Super Bowl comes to town, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in infinite ways. Because of a growing connection between UNLV and the Las Vegas professional sports scene, 24 students have been able to participate in a paid internship experience with the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee.

Students receive direct access and exposure to the world of large-scale event execution with opportunities for hands-on experience in operations, community relations, marketing, digital design, and more.

For many of these students, the internship is about more than just building their resume, but making connections with colleagues and industry professionals that will help them long after they cross the stage at graduation.

Read more about the experience from this summer’s cohort of interns.

Coby Carner
Intercollegiate and Professional Sport Management Graduate Program, College of Education

With a keen interest in the field of professional sports, Coby knew he had to apply when the chance to work for the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee presented itself.

He's working on his master's degree and also is a graduate assistant for UNLV Sports Innovation initiative. Coby hopes that being part of the host committee will lend itself to his future aspirations of working in the business side of the sports industry.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” he says. Coby encourages students to take the leap and apply for internships to gain experiences that could aid students in their future endeavors.  “I really think that the host committee – being out in the field, kind of rubbing elbows with, you know, people that are pretty prominent in the sports industry here, whether I know it or not, is going to really help me in the future.”

Breanna Adams
Business Administration, Lee Business School

With a background in dance, Breanna was able to bring her knowledge of sports from the sidelines to the main stage as a volunteer services intern on the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee. Between interviewing volunteers, drafting emails, and making communication plans, Breanna is meeting new people, engaging the community, and going to different events.

Her advice to students unsure about pursuing an internship? “Go for it. I feel like I’ve learned so much already only being here for two months and, not only am I learning from Trevor, who’s in charge of volunteers, but as well as all the other members of the host committee  — and my fellow interns.”

Stephen Butler
Environmental Science, College of Sciences
History, College of Liberal Arts

This may be his first internship but Stephen is no stranger to expanding his horizons and trying something new. After all, with a double major in environmental science and history, social media hardly seems like the avenue to pursue. Yet, as he puts it, “Everybody needs a social media page.”

As a social media content creator with the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee, Stephen has had the opportunity to develop his knowledge of social media, including shooting video for various platforms, as well as engagement and monitoring. His advice to students thinking of pursuing an internship? “Try something a little bit different, reach out for something a little bit outside of your comfort zone but something you still enjoy.”

Alyssa Brown
Finance, Lee Business School

Meet Alyssa, a spirited junior hailing from Tucson, Arizona. She's pursuing a major in finance while seamlessly juggling her role as a forward on the Lady Rebels Basketball team. Her connection with basketball traces back to the age of 4, and her dreams extend beyond the court – she envisions a future where she'll establish her own basketball gym.

Although her rigorous student-athlete commitments leave little room to gain work experience, Alyssa found her stride with the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee internship in a role that harmoniously blended her fervor for sports and her knack for working logistics.

“I was in charge of budgeting sheets, working on presentations, and maps for the event in February, and I attended executive meetings,” she says, adding that students who are hesitant to apply for an internship should, “Just do it! I didn’t think I was ready or that I would get it. Our internship was amazing. As long as you’re trying your best I don’t think you can fail.” 

Ingrid Pauline V de Oca
Graphic Design, UNLV College of Fine Arts

Currently working on her second bachelor’s degree, Ingrid decided to take the skills she learned developing her graphic design portfolio to the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee. The work pushed her to step out of her comfort zone and challenge herself to thrive in a new environment.

Her advice to students: “There’s no real way of knowing if you want to do something unless you just kind of put yourself headfirst in a situation and not be afraid to make mistakes and fail because that's the best way of learning.”

Jayley Ward
Hospitality Management, Harrah College of Hospitality

For hospitality major Jayley Ward, being part of the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee is about more than building your experience in sports, it’s about making connections with your fellow interns, learning from one another, and trying new things.

“The skills I’ve learned and how I can use them… as far as communication, being open to meeting new people, and being curious and creative when it comes to the sports world. There are a lot of rules but there are also no rules, so you can kind of do whatever you want. When working with your team, especially here in Vegas, we’ve taken a lot of risks. This internship has helped me with all of those skills.”

Jordan Anders
Journalism and Media Studies, Greenspun College of Urban Affairs

Participating in an internship offers a whole host of advantages beyond gaining hands-on experience for landing a dream job. It's also a journey of self-discovery, guiding you to pinpoint what your dream job even is.

After her experience as a social media intern for the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee, Jordan is setting her sights on being a social media manager for an NFL team.

Jordan was able to take what she learned in the classroom and apply it to the real world during her time with the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee. Two classes in particular helped her get ready for her day-to-day duties: Introduction to Digital and Social Media and Sports and Media. She was able to put what she learned in the classroom into practice, giving her the resume-building experience she needs to accomplish her goals.

Eric Eierman
Graphic Design, College of Fine Arts

When it comes to the wide world of digital design, Eric is getting plenty of experience. As a graphic design intern, he works with the Las Vegas Super Bowl Host Committee and the NFL to execute a project from start to finish. Polishing his design skills has been a worthwhile takeaway from the internship, but so is learning how to work with a team and navigate the complex approval process when working with a large organization.

He credits one of his professors for preparing him for the real-world work environment. “A professor told me once to learn to work together because everything is going to be a group project in life. So you’ll have to work with people no matter what.”

Source:  UNLVProduced by UNLV Web & Digital Strategy
Original content:  https://www.unlv.edu/news/article/rebels-bring-their-skills-classroom-field